Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Historical Figures

So, it's really nice when writing historical fiction to be able to include a real life character. The trick is knowing your place and time, and whether or not its possible to stretch reality in such a way that will fit your story.

I have just finished doing just that, and it made for over 3000 words! All in about two hours time. Pretty freaking awesome! Neat trick too...

It all started yesterday when I was just doing some basic research on Cheyenne Wyoming, the Union Pacific Railroad, and that time/place in general. I came across someone who would fit very nicely, and thought, gee, how cool would it be if my characters met that person? So I had a vague idea of how it would happen, then proceeded to sit down and write it. See my other blog for the excerpt... but warning to your sensibilities, it did not end up so very nice.

I hope no one is offended by my representation of this historical figure, who based on my research could very likely have participated in just the sort of scene I describe, but is all too often romanticized. I like making people more real, with all their faults.

So here's the thing: Anyone reading this? Not gonna say who the figure is, you have to tell me, I'll give it to the end of the week, and then I'll say who it is. Just go read the excerpt and give it a go. :)

No comments: