Monday, August 27, 2012

New Excerpt and Other Thoughts...

The weekly excerpt is now posted here: Chapter Four

This excerpt is likely fated for the chopping block during editing, but I hope to work it in somehow. I think it shows some valuable insight into Salome's character, for a couple of reasons.
1. It highlights her relationships with her employees, she thinks of them as friends and not merely servants; she takes their advice (sometimes), she values their opinions, and she trusts them implicitly. Salome chooses her 'inner circle' very carefully, and she values loyalty and honesty in people. It is one of the reasons Salome falls for Donovan, because he is open, honest, and loyal as well. They also share the opinion that all people, regardless of their station in life, are their equals. They might be members of the ton due to their circumstances, but it is the core values of their American background that has shaped the people that they are.
2. It is a chance to showcase Salome's true love, and that is of horses; their breeding, their training, and most of all their care. It is Salome's dearest wish to be able to return to her home and pursue a future in raising champion racehorses. This is a love shared by our hero, and common ground for them to bond over.

Also, would like to make a note regarding my last posting. The very last image I posted of inspiration for Donovan has stuck like glue in my mind, and I went digging for more photos. They are posted on my Pinterest, which will take you to the photographer's deviantART account. The model in question I think is named Umid, and he is Russian. Best reason ever I've found to want to visit Russia! Just kidding, Russia is a fascinating place. I don't wish to digress, but some of the greatest art, history, and -hot men- hail from Russia, take some time to read about it.
The similarity between many Russian peoples and the Native American tribes here in the US cannot be denied, as clearly seen in this fine specimen- sorry, had to wipe some drool off the keyboard and regroup- ahem...
Anyway, suffice it to say that Umid or whatever his name is, is now my official mental picture of Donovan. The photographer is very talented, check out some of his other work. It has me thinking, when it comes time to put together a cover, if it would not be too uber expensive, of contacting this photographer and perhaps arranging a shoot with that model and a Salome lookalike. Hmmm... Ok, but that's still some time away, but I'm going to start saving my pennies just in case!

No comments: